Find us on:

UPDATE: Maidens charged with murder; held on $2.5 million bond

The Maidens family in a photo taken from Rachael Maidens' business website. From left, Rachael, daughter Natalie, and Randolph Maidens.
BRENTWOOD - Brentwood Police on Monday charged Randolph C. Maidens with criminal homicide in the shooting death of his wife, Dr. Rachael Maidens. The Brentwood orthodontist was found shot to death in the couple's Governors Club home late Sunday afternoon.

Randolph Maidens was transported to the Williamson County Jail late Monday morning where his bond was set at $2.5 million. His initial court appearance has been set for Thursday, May 2 at 1 p.m. in the Williamson County General Sessions Court.

Randolph Maidens was the subject of a manhunt that locked down Brentwood’s gated Governors Club golf community that began early Sunday evening and ended Monday morning. Maidens, believed to have shot his wife to death, surrendered without incident.

Asst. Police Chief Thomas Walsh told Brentwood Home Page early Monday morning that Maidens, 42, “was arrested this morning at around 6 a.m. He was taken into custody without incident in the Governors Club and is currently being processed at BPD headquarters.”

Randolph Maidens (photo courtesy: Brentwood Police Department)

Police Chief Jeff Hughes was at the crime scene early Monday morning.

“He just walked out of the woods. He was walking across the golf course toward his back yard when we captured him,” Hughes told media at the scene.

Maidens was the subject of an extensive manhunt that locked down Brentwood’s gated Governors Club development for close to eight hours Sunday night and gripped the entire Brentwood community throughout Sunday night and into early Monday morning.

The events began at approximately 5:49 p.m. Sunday night, when Brentwood officers responded to a call for a welfare check at 64 Governors Way. When officers entered the home, they found the body of Dr. Rachael Maidens, a Brentwood orthodontist, with a gunshot wound.

The Maiden’s 2-year-old daughter was found at the scene unharmed, Walsh said. She is now being cared for by relatives.

“The male suspect we have named was not in the residence at that time," Walsh added.

Flowers were left at the entrance to RM Orthodontics Monday morning

Police immediately sealed off the crime scene and began conducting a search with the help of a Tennessee Highway Patrol helicopter, two K-9s units -- one from the Franklin Police Department and another from the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department. Officers from the Brentwood force, the Williamson County SWAT team and other agencies searched the area immediately surrounding the Maidens’ home and the entire 600-acre Governors Club area without success.

"We've checked every area we feel the suspect would be hiding,” Walsh said just before 2 a.m. today at the Brentwood Safety Center East, where 15-20 Governors Club residents had been staying while awaiting the OK to return to their homes.

Brentwood police officers escorted those residents to their homes and searched them to ensure the residents’ safety, Walsh said.

Walsh said it’s not known how long the victim, who has been identified as Maidens' wife but not named, had been deceased when police made entry. Walsh said there was no prior call history from the Maidens’ residence and no history of domestic violence.

Neighbor Cynthia Rosenblum, who was among those waiting to return home early Monday morning, said she often saw Randolph Maidens working in the yard of his 65 Governors Way home. She said she did not think he was employed.

“I called 911 about three weeks ago. He was running through the woods behind our house with his two dogs in a ski mask and something like a quiver on his back,” Rosenblum said. “I asked him three times what he was doing. At first he gave some incoherent answer. Then he finally said he was walking his dogs and got lost.

“My husband says he's seen him do the same thing. I thought he was a peeping tom."

Late Sunday night, Rob Burton, a Governors Way resident who lives a few houses down from the Maidens, told BHP via email that he had watched “30-plus sheriff and SWAT roaming the south end of the golf course and woods with rifles draw and lights on looking for this guy.”

Crime scene tape surrounds the house at 64 Governors Way

Burton added that the area he was referring to was near Hole No. 5 “all the way to Colonel Winstead Road.

“I watched them walk around my house with guns drawn and lights on, through the easement and woods,” Burton emailed.

Marty Warren, a longtime Governors Club resident, was among those residents who could not get home Sunday evening.

"We were away at dinner with our daughter and granddaughter and are locked out of the neighborhood and our home," Warren, a Realtor who with his wife Nancy specializes in marketing the development, told BHP. They stayed in close touch with those inside the gates, however. 

"All of our neighbors and friends are so kind and thoughtful with everyone reaching out to each neighbor and friend," he said.

Previously, Randolph Maidens was arrested on Feb. 23 of this year for driving under the influence and violation of the implied consent law.

Read more from: Public Safety
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: